Here are some simple ways to emit less carbon in your daily life. You'll save money and maybe even get in shape.
- Turn off the lights (and tvs, and radios) in rooms you are not using.
- Turn off computers and laptops when not in use.
- Unplug electrical devices when not in use.
- Try opening the windows and doors instead of turning on the air conditioning.
- Keep doors and windows shut and curtains drawn to keep your house toasty warm.
- Hang your washing instead of using the clothes dryer.
- Turn down the temperature on your water heater.
- Bike, walk, rollerblade or skateboard to destinations close by -- you'll save money on gas and parking, and get fit while you're at it!
- Take public transport instead of your car -- train into the city and the Meadowlands, take a train next time you go to Philly, D.C., or Boston.
Banner photo courtesy of Kathryn Huang Photography