TOWNSHIP / SILVER CERTIFICATION
Maplewood has been re-certified by Sustainable Jersey at the Silver Level. This is the third time that Maplewood has passed Sustainable Jersey's rigorous certification process.
“Maplewood has been a leader as a green and sustainable municipality and this year we established a Township Sustainability Committee to continue moving our green agenda forward. I want to thank our Department Directors and volunteers on the Green Team and Environmental Advisory Committee for their assistance with our Sustainable Jersey application,” said Mayor Vic De Luca.
To become Sustainable Jersey certified at the silver-level, Maplewood submitted documentation to show it had completed 34 sustainability actions in 15 categories, earning 365 points (minimum is 350 points). Among the categories for which Maplewood submitted action plans were:
1) energy tracking & management;
2) municipal carbon footprint;
3) a green business recognition program;
4) "greening" the Green Day fair;
5) lead education and outreach;
6) sustainable land use;
7) prescription drug safety and disposal;
8) diversity on boards & commissions; and many more.